The Makeup and Books Tag
Updated: Oct 7, 2020
I thought that I would try the #makeupandbooks tag today as an introduction to this blog. Because this tag fulfills two of my main categories, I thought it would be a good way to delve into writing about things other than just books, but also keeping me halfway in my comfort zone.
If you want to see this done in video form (it is quite popular on YouTube), there are so many people that do it. Some of my favourites are PeruseProject and Tashapolis.
PRIMER: A book that leaves a lasting impression.
- Mary Kay Foundation Primer Sunscreen. I love this because there is SPF in it and it makes my skin so smooth.
- "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell always seems to come up in conversation because it was one of those books that I can't stop thinking about. I read it for a class a few years ago and it's really impacted the way that I go about making decisions.
FOUNDATION: First book in a series that impressed you.
- Smashbox Studio Skin 12 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation. Shade "1.1". I got this foundation as a recommendation from the woman working at Ulta. I told her that I had dry skin and needed a foundation to last all day on my wedding day. I love it, though! Would recommend for those with a similar skin type.
-"Daughter of Smoke and Bone" by Laini Taylor is such a loved and hyped book. I wasn't sure what to expect when I bought the entire series for sale on BookOutlet, but it was not what I received. I have only read the first book, but the world and the story is so emersive and different.
CONCEALER: Pick a character you wish you could get rid of.
- Maybelline Age Rewind Eraser. Colour "Neutalizer". While I can't deny that this definitely counteracts darker undereyes, it's not my favourite concealer for spots and brightening. I think the main reason for that, however, is that I am super pale. Still a beautiful concealer for uner the eyes.
- Ty. Ugh. I don't even know why I still have this book because it made me so uncomfortable to read. I love that it was written in second person because that is so rare and different to read, but the entire story moves slow and is a gross look into Stockholm Syndrome. I don't really ever want to feel sympathetic for a guy that drugs and kidnaps girls, but maybe that's just me.
POWDER: Favourite last book in a series.
- Maybelline Superstay Better Skin. Shade "20 Classic Ivory". This powder is incredible. It reduces the appearance of anything you wouldn't want on your face; blemishes, pores, redness, texture. And it has salicyclic acid, so it's fighting your acne as well!
-Wet n Wild Coloricon Bronzer. Shade 743A Reserve Your Cabana. While I love the Maybelline powder, it leaves me looking matte and lifeless. Reserve Your Cabana brings the glow back into my dull dry skin. A lot of beauty gurus compare this to Hourglass powders, but this is on a budget!
- "Isla and the Happily Ever After" by Stephanie Perkins is my favourite book out of the Anna and the French Kiss series. The relationship seems the most genuine and the least toxic. It is such a "make you grin" kind of book.
EYEBROWS: A book everyone should read.
-Soap and Glory Archery Brow. Shade "Mocha up your mind". I am very new to brow products, so I tend to just to throw a brown powder in there, but on days where I really want to keep them from doing any funny movements, this tinted eyebrow gel does wonders.
- "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde is my go-to classic suggestion because it is just so witty and keeps you on your toes. I don't think I have ever giggled outloud so much at a book ever, let alone a classic novel!
EYESHADOW: Book that has favourite colours on the cover.
-Too Faced I Want Kandee Palette: Used colours- Banana Cream Pie, Cream Puff, Raspberry Cocoa, Sugar Plum, Sparkling Cider, and Whipped Cream (woo that made me hungry). Not only do these shadows come in an old-fashioned candy tin and smell like cocoa, but they blend beautifully and are super easy to work with. It was a limited edition palette, but it's one of my favourite makeup purchases of all time.
-"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. I couldn't find a cover that had my all time favourite colour combination, but honestly, I love any colour if it is paired with teal. I originally picked this edition because of the price, but I absolutely love the cover as well. Such a good read.
EYELINER: A dark and mysterious book.
- Wet n Wild megaliner. Shade "Black Noir". I am not an eyeliner person. I used to wear it all of the time in high school, but anymore I would just rather smudge a darker eyeshadow shade near the lashes. That being said, I do have this liner from Wet n Wild and I don't mind it. It doesnt seem to hard to use and it's very black.
- "Dark Matter" by Blake Crouch is so outsude of my normal reading comfort zone, but it was so good! The sciencey elements make it so mysterious and you spend the majority of the book either trying to figure out what is going on or being completely mind-blown about what is going on. I would highly recommend to those you want something really bizarre but intriguing (even if sci-fi isn't usually your thing.
MASCARA: A long book.
- Essence Lash Princess falsh lash effect mascara. This is my favourite mascara of all time. It makes your lashes look twice the length and thickness they usually do and it's affordable in the US and the UK. Plus the packaging is cute. WHAT MORE CAN YOU WANT
- "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt and "Mistborn"/"The Final Empire" by Brandon Sanderson are in the same boat for me. Not only are both of these in the 600+ pages category, but they are dense and full of information. They both took/are taking absolute ages to move through.
BLUSH: A cringe worthy romance.
- Wet n Wild Coloricon Blush. Shade "328B Mellow Wine". Are you beginning to latch onto the fact that I love Wet n Wild? Blush is difficult for me because I have such pink cheeks naturally, but I have never found a blush I love more than this one. It is matte so there is no shimmer, the colour pay off is insane (so be careful), and is such a beautiful deep peachy colour.
-"Anna and the French Kiss" by Stephanie Perkins. This book makes me cringe so much. It is so well-loved in the book community, but it is also very problematic. There is cheating and girl-shaming, and I am just not here for it. Check out this review of it if you want a good laugh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4zGlAMwbM.
HIGHLIGHTER: A book that brightened your day.
- Flower Beauty Lift and Sculpt Contouring Palette. Shade "Light to Medium". This is such a loved and abused product. First of all, I adored the bronzer and blush in this palette and was mildly devastated when they broke during my travels to the UK, but nothing will match the joy that I felt when I realized my highlighter had survived. This is hands-down the best highlight that I own. It is like a pearl/champagne colour and is buttery soft. Very pigmented. Easy to build up. It is just a very under-rated product, okay? Definitely check it out if you have access to Flower Beauty near you (I believe it is carried in Walmart and ULTA now!).
-"Simon vs the Homosapien's Agenda" by Becky Albertalli is such an amazing, feel good, cheer you up right away kind of book. I pretty much have learned that I love anything my Albertalli and she's an automatic-buy author for me. If you haven't read it yet, do so before the equally amazing-looking movie comes to cinemas!
LIPSTICK: A great book kiss.
-Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick. Shade "First Time Matte". I love to use this little palette to line my lips if I do not have a lipliner that matches on hand. Just pick up a little lip brush and you are good to go. I highly recommend palettes to those you want to have more control over their lip products. You can manipulate the colour and it's easy to apply.
- Tarte Lip Scultor. Shade "Sangria". This is my favourite lipstick formula ever. It is super smooth and silky and just glides on the lips, but it doesn't move all over when you are applying it either. It smells like hot cocoa, and on the otherside there is a stunning gloss. I think the gloss can be duped by the NYX Intense Butter Glosses, but the lipstick is one of a kind.
- "The Sun is Also A Star" by Nicola Yoon might be kind of cheesy, but if you did not feel things during the kiss scene in the karaoke booth, then you must have a heart of ice. It made my stomach do the little swoop. Such a sweet little love story.
Alright everyone, that is all for The Makeup Book Tag. Would you like to see my before and after?
I hope you had as much fun as I did. If you do the tag, let me know so I can see your thoughts.
*All of these links are for the UK (which made it hard because I bought most of them in the US). If you would prefer US links in the future, or would like me to add them, let me know! I did not link books because I figured they would be easy enough to find, but I can always do that in the future as well!
Highlighter (US LINK): https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flower-CT1-Light-to-Medium-Lift-Sculpt-Contouring-Palette-0-29-oz/161678420
Lipstick palette: *limited edition. Will link similar palette.http://www.boots.com/seventeen-all-out-pout-lip-palette-woo-me-10205406
#primer #marykay #foundation #smashbox #concealer #maybelline #powder #wetnwild #eyebrows #soapandglory #eyeshadow #toofaced #kandeejohnson #lilycreads #peruseprojects #tashapolis #eyeliner #mascara #essence #blush #flowerbeauty #drewbarrymore #lipstick #tarte #beckyalbertalli #lovesimon #nicolayoon #thesunisalsoastar #annaandthefrenchkiss #stephanieperkins #donnatartt #thesecrethistory #brandonsanderson #prideandprejudice #janeausten #oscarwilde #lainitaylor #stolen #blink #malcolmgladwell #tag #makeupandbooks #makeup #books #grwm